Calvary Chapel Christian School of Downey High School is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. W.A.S.C. is one of six regional associations which accredit public and private schools, colleges, and universities in the United States. The Accrediting Commission for Schools has the responsibility for the accreditation of all schools below the college level in California, Hawaii, East Asia, and the Pacific Basin. Included are elementary, junior/middle high, high, and adult schools whether public, private, or church-related.
What does accreditation mean?
Being “accredited” means that a school meets established criteria or standards and is achieving its own stated objectives. W.A.S.C. accreditation is a process schools use to monitor student learning and set school improvement goals. W.A.S.C. accreditation is an ongoing cycle of quality. Schools assess their programs and the impact on student learning with respect to the W.A.S.C. criteria and other accreditation factors.
Why pursue accreditation?
- Assures a school community that the school’s purposes are appropriate and being accomplished through a viable education program
- Validates the integrity of the school’s program and transcripts
- Facilitates transfer of credits to other English-speaking schools — critical for college/university acceptance worldwide
- Fosters the ongoing improvement of the school’s programs and operations to support student learning
- Provides valuable insight from fellow educators visiting the school
CCCS high school’s status
Calvary Chapel Christian School of Downey High School is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and Association of Christian Teachers and Schools (ACTS) through June of 2018.
Here are some accreditation terms that you might here in accreditation conversations:
W.A.S.C. – The Western Association of Schools and Colleges
Visiting Team – The group of educators that will visit and evaluate the school
Focus on Learning – The self study process/manual outlined by W.A.S.C.
Self Study – The detailed written report that the school creates reviewing their school